Mornings are a busy time and most of us prefer a quick breakfast. I, personally, like a healthy, fast shake. A combination of nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit provides substantial amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Soaking the seeds and nuts enhances their nutritional value and makes them easier on the digestive system.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS:
- Choose the least-processed ingredients possible, preferably organic
- Chia seeds, whole, raw and natural
- Flax seed, whole, raw and natural
- Nuts and other seeds, raw and unsalted
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted
- Chocolate, raw, natural and unsweetened
- Fruit, frozen to make cooler, thicker shakes (if you use fresh fruit, add ice)
- Spinach (baby spinach has a mild flavor)
Soaking the seeds and nuts enhances their nutritional value and makes them easier on the digestive system.
I prefer a Vitamix for blending. It grinds seeds and nuts, then blends frozen fruit to perfection. I broke six different blenders prior to investing in a Vitamix. If your blender is not powerful, use ground flax seed instead of whole seeds.
Take a seven-day shake challenge and see how much better you feel. Here are seven shakes, one for each day of the week, to get you started. If you enjoy coffee or tea in the morning, drink it after your shake. If you still feel hungry, you may eat a small snack between breakfast and lunch.